Solo 421S 20-Pound Capacity Portable Spreader Review
Lawn spreaders are valuable in that they offer uniform coverage of seed and lawn care products. If you choose not to use one, you run the risk of applying too much seed in one area or not enough fertilizer in another. Uniform coverage is particularly important when you are spreading chemical fertilizers or herbicides. Too much of these products deposited in one area of your lawn could lead to burning your plants and damaging their root structures.
As a broadcast spreader, the Solo 421S 20 Pound Capacity Portable Spreader is designed to throw seeds in a swath in all directions. This creates a wide spread pattern so that the margins of each pass overlap one another for uniform coverage. It can be used for both small and medium sized lawns. This type of portable spreader does require a steady walking speed to ensure even distribution. This particular model has a hopper with a cap that will protect the operator from dust, chemicals, and the product that is being laid down.
The Solo 421S offers an excellent alternative to wheeled lawn spreaders, and it allows you to spread seed where wheels cannot reach or go.
- Unlike other comparable models, the Solo 421S can do both narrow focused spreading and broad spreading.
- This model can spread both fine granular products (like grass seed) and larger sized materials (like pelletized lime).
- The hopper’s large opening makes it easy to fill and clean as needed, while the cap protects the user and the materials inside of the hopper.
- Users could not see the hopper feed level.
- Users did not like the ergonomics of the design.
- The dispenser trigger is conveniently located so it is right at the user’s fingertips.
- The gearbox agitator is fully enclosed, so it is protected from the elements, corrosion, and rust.
- The generously sized opening of the hopper makes it simple to fill, empty, and clean as needed.
- The hopper has a maximum capacity of 20 gallons.
- The hopper features a lid that protects the user from dust and chemicals.
- The comfortable cross shoulder strap can be adjusted as needed to provide a perfect fit.
- The compact and lightweight design of this model means that it weighs a mere 7 pounds.
The Solo 421S 20 Pound Capacity Portable Spreader offers an excellent alternative to traditional wheeled broadcast spreaders. It will allow you to lay down product in areas where wheels cannot access. The carrying harness for the spreader has a single strap that rests across the shoulders. It is padded for additional comfort and can be adjusted as needed.
The Solo 421 was designed with the operator in mind. It has a 240-degree spread radius that ensures the seed or fertilizer will not come back on the operator. The direction and volume controls are located right at the operator’s fingertips. Direction and drop rate can be easily adjusted as needed. Users have praised its thoughtful design.
The spreader is constructed from a rustproof poly blend that is both durable and simple to clean. With its lubricated metal gears and fully enclosed gear box, this Solo model was designed to have a long life. The gears are crafted from premium stainless steel. Indeed, many reviewers had been using their Solos for 2-5 years with no issues. The agitator located in the spreader assists granules in falling evenly into the impeller, which prevents potential blockages and ensures a uniform spread. Whether it is empty or full, this model will always sit upright.
The Solo 421S was designed to be used for a variety of applications. In addition to being able to lay down seed, it can also be used to apply a variety of chemicals. It can handle fine grained materials, like sand, or pieces as large as rock salt. Users will be hard pressed to find another model that offers as much in the way of versatility.
- Fingertip levers control direction and volume
- Fully enclosed gearbox-driven agitator is corrosion resistant
- Large opening allows easy filling and cleaning
- 20 lbs capacity hopper with cap protects operator from chemicals and dust
The Solo 421S 20 Pound Capacity Portable Spreader has enjoyed overwhelmingly positive reviews from buyers. At the time of this writing, more than 90% of individuals who rated this portable spreader had given it a four or five star rating. There have been a handful of complaints regarding the ergonomics of the design. Several reviewers found it difficult to access the direction and volume controls – despite their placement. Others did not like the fact that they could not see the hopper’s feed levels while using it; however, almost all reviewers agree that this model is well worth the cost.
THANKS FOR READING
If you are looking for a portable spreader that will pay for itself and provide you with many years of trustworthy service, then the Solo 421S 20 Pound Capacity Portable Spreader is exactly what you have been looking for. From the screw on cap to the ergonomic placement of the crank handle, much thought has gone into the design and execution of this model. The 421S can be used all year long, regardless of the season, to ensure that your application needs are met.