Scotts Turf Builder Dense Shade Seed Mix for Tall Fescue Lawns Review
Scotts Turf Builder Dense Shade mix is a combination of Tall Fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass. Tall Fescue, a cool-season grass, adapts well in either partially shaded areas or full sun areas. When this seed is densely sown, it will form a lawn that is moderate to coarse in texture, uniform in appearance, that has good disease and weed resistance. Kentucky Bluegrass, also a cool-season grass has a bluish-green color and is widely cultivated for pasture and lawn grass in the US.
Scotts Turf Builder Dense Shade Seed Mix contains Dynamic 2 Tall Fescue (19.50%), Wolfpack 2 Tall Fescue (18.52%), Shademaster 3 Creeping Red Fescue (7.90%), and Avalanche Kentucky Bluegrass (2.92%). Dynamic 2 is drought tolerant, high traffic, low growing, and grows well is shade or sun. Wolfpack 2 is dense, low growing, dark green, high traffic, drought tolerant, heat tolerant, and provides uniform growth. Shademaster 3 is dark green, drought tolerant, low maintenance, and provides erosion control. Avalanche Kentucky Bluegrass - dense, low growing, high traffic, and quick spreading.
Tall Fescue mixes are susceptible to Rhizoctonia solani (Brown Patch) but are resistant to Sclerotinia homoecarpa (Dollar Spot). They have very good shade tolerance and are a desirable mix for both lawns and golf roughs. Since its first introduction into the market in the early 1980s, Tall Fescue has been improved with finer leaf texture, a darker color, a lower growth habit, an increased resistance to disease, and a denser turf canopy. These mixes are now used effectively in home lawns, parks, athletic fields, and more. It has a deep root system which allows it to gain access to deep soil moisture.
- This seed mix grow in any temperature under any conditions
- Grew in thick under a large canopy of trees
- Grew under some mature maple trees that have dense roots very close to surface
- Filled in all the holes that a Great Dane puppy made
- This is super soft grass that's not easy to mow because it comes out in chunks
- About 50% of the seeds didn't germinate
- Half died after only 3 months - Not hardy enough for either sun or shade
- Grass quality is subpar to what we currently have in our yard
- Guaranteed to grow quicker, greener, thicker grass
- Contains Scotts unique WaterSmart PLUS coating, which holds water and assists seeds to stay moist so they won't dry out and die out
- Low-maintenance lawn mix perfect for seeding under or around dense trees
- This dense shade mix only requires three hours of sunlight a day to grow
- Contains exclusive mix of self-repairing and shade-tolerant grasses
- A fungicide, Apron XL (Mefenoxam) has been used to treat this seed - Don't use for food, oil, or feed purposes
Scotts Turf Builder Dense Shade Seed Mix for Tall Fescue Lawns can be used in both the Southern and Northern United States. It is a perennial seed but requires a heavier seeding. It is drought tolerant and has medium traffic tolerance.
This seed will start to grow in 6 to 14 days (average germination days 6 to 30). Seedlings can be mowed after reaching 3 inches in height. No weed-control products should be applied until after 4 mowings. The most favorable time to plant Scotts Turf Builder Dense Shade Seed Mix for Tall Fescue Lawns is either in the Spring or Autumn. These seeds germinate best when the temperature is between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Remember that grass that can grow under trees without much sunlight will be in competition with those trees for nutrients and water. Make sure that there is adequate soil for sustaining grass growing among tree roots. The grass will most likely need some extra help such as fertilizing and extra watering. If you have been totally unsuccessful in making grass grow under your trees, another option like a mulched bed or a ground cover like pachysandra could be alternatives for you.
Three pounds of this product will cover 375 square feet for new lawns and approximately 750 square feet to reseed. Seven pounds of this product will cover 875 square feet for new lawns and approximately 1,750 square feet to reseed.
THANKS FOR READING
Scotts Turf Builder Dense Shade Seed Mix for Tall Fescue Lawns is a favorite of online reviewers. Sixty-eight percent of reviewers found this mix to be a dependable grower that does especially well in densely shaded areas. It has fast germination and grows thickly in difficult areas including under tree canopies and among dense root systems. Twenty percent of reviewers had some issue with this product. The product either sprouted up quickly but didn't last, grew poorly in the shade, or came up thin and scattered. Nineteen percent of online reviewers were deeply dissatisfied with this product. It either did not germinate at all or produced small, skimpy patches of grass that only lasted for a couple of months before dying out.