Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader Review
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company was initially founded in 1868 by O.M. Scott, and the brand is now considered one of the most revered names in the lawn and garden market. The company maintains offices and research and development facilities on three continents. With nearly twenty different product lines for sale in the United States alone, the Scotts Company likes to think that they have something to offer for everyone, and they have one of the strongest, consumer based followings anywhere in the world.
Recently, the Scotts brand has focused their attention on improving and enhancing their lines of gardening tools, including the Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader. While traditional drop spreaders have largely been eschewed in favor of tow-behind spreaders, the Scotts Turf Builder Classic has garnered strong reviews from users. It comes fully assembled, which eliminates the hassle of trying to read instructions and getting lost. Overall, it is an efficient, strong machine with a large capacity hopper, which will make your chores less time consuming and easier.
Read on to find out exactly what it is that makes the Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader stand out from its competitors!
- The Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader can hold enough Scotts lawn care products to cover 10,000 square feet of acreage.
- This model comes fully assembled – eliminating the need for you to do it.
- In order to ensure maximum accuracy and coverage, this drop spreader boasts a 22 inch spread pattern.
- Users have stated that this model is prone to slipping on wet grass and other damp surfaces.
- The Turf Builder Classic must be manually calibrated before it can be used.
- The large capacity hopper can carry up to 10,000 square feet of Scotts lawn products.
- The frame is made of heavy duty metal to provide optimum stability.
- To ensure maximum accuracy and coverage, this model boasts a 22 inch spread pattern.
- Because it comes pre-calibrated and fully assembled, this model can be used straight out of the box.
- It can be used with any Scotts Miracle-Gro lawn care products. It weighs only 12.6 pounds, which makes it easily maneuverable.
The Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader features straightforward design and simple operation. If you are looking for a no frills drop spreader that will get the job done, then this could be the right option for you. The way this drop spreader works is by a dropper located underneath the bottom of the spreader. It closely resembles a chute. Because it measures 22 inches wide, it will provide excellent coverage for your lawn, especially if you are laying new seed or reseeding your lawn. The width of the dropper will minimize the number of rows required to cover the space.
Because the hopper is wide, it is easy to fill with the product of your choice. Since it is lightweight, it is ideal for yards that have a lot of trees and shrubs in them. In addition to seed, it can also be used to spread fertilizer on your lawn. Large pneumatic tires make it easily maneuverable and ensure that it can travel over rough terrain with minimal resistance. One small feature that users have enjoyed are the arrows molded within the green plastic. If you need to stop or pause your seeding, all you have to do is line the arrows up with the tracks the wheels made in the grass, and you won’t have to worry about missing or overlapping rows.
The Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader is crafted from a tough and durable poly plastic blend, which is resistant to damage caused by weather exposure and will not rust.
At the time of this writing, 57% of reviewers on Amazon have given the Turf Builder Classic a four star or higher rating. While most users have enjoyed moderate success with this drop spreader, others have not been so satisfied. A small number of users have expressed dissatisfaction with the plastic tires this model has. Many had the tires go flat on them, even though they are supposed to be pneumatic.
- Large capacity hopper holds more than 10,000 square feet of Scotts lawn products
- Heavy-duty frame for optimum stability
- 22-inch spread pattern for maximum coverage and accruacy.
- Fully assembled and ready to use.
Overwhelmingly, the primary complaint against the Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader has to do with its calibration. Although this model is advertised as pre-calibrated, the majority of users have warned that, right out of the box, it will need to be manually calibrated as the calibration out of the box seems to be considerably off. Several users inadvertently damaged their lawns laying down chemical fertilizers and lime because they were unaware of the need to manually calibrate it.
THANKS FOR READING
Consumer written reviews for the Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader have been mixed. While its portability and maneuverability have been praised, users have been less than impressed with its overall performance. Exactly how this model will perform in your yard will be a gamble; however, the Turf Builder Classic is one of the more affordable drop spreaders currently on the market, and it is covered by a warranty from Scotts. Ultimately, the decision to take a risk on this drop spreader is up to you.