Scotts EZ Seed – Sun and Shade has come out with a new formula that is being advertised as a "revolutionary seeding mix". When I clicked a link on the Scotts webpage to find out what the previous formula contained, I discovered that US citizens can't find out this information, only Canadian citizens! I think this is a questionable decision of Scotts, and one that will probably turn off a lot of US buyers.
Scotts EZ Seed uses a blend of Creeping Fescue, Perennial Ryegrass, and Kentucky Bluegrass. The exact breakdown is as follows: 89% Oasys Mulch; 4% Poly-S; 1% GreenStar Kentucky Bluegrass; 0.5% Avalanche KBG; 2% Silver-Dollar Perennial Ryegrass; 0.5% Majesty 2 Perennial Ryegrass; 2% Wendy-Jean Creeping Red Fescue; 0.17 Defender Perennial Ryegrass, and 1% Shade-Master 3 Creeping Red Fescue.
Seeds are mixed with super-compressed mulch which keeps area moist by retaining water. This mixture soaks up water just like a sponge, and expands to create a protective moist layer around the seed. Seeds are infused with nourishment and water, so they grow stronger roots that can survive the toughest of conditions. It's said that this seed mix will even grow grass on pavement!
- Worked very well to cover up bare spots caused by pets
- Water absorption additive works well on lawns that receive minimal watering
- Grass grew sooner than advertised and blended perfectly with existing grass
- Covered bare area of lawn where there was grub damage, and worked like a charm
- Grass grew during a major drought
- Product is a mixture of seed and soil - so in some cases, it may be cheaper to use your own soil
- Product grew well in areas of full sun but didn't grow in as well in shaded areas
- A fine mixture of seeds, mulch, and fertilizer
- Guaranteed to grow anywhere if subjected to proper care
- New improved formula grows on hills and slopes and reduces wash-away of seeds
- Mulch is super absorbent (holds approximately 6 times product weight in water) and keeps seeds from drying out and drying out
- Ideal for densely shaded, high traffic, and sunny areas
- Grass coloring is a deep green
- Color of mulch changes to light brown when watering is needed
- 100% biodegradable
- Pet and kid friendly when used correctly
- Contains a "tackifier" which reduces seed wash-away on the sloped areas of the lawn
To use Scotts EZ Seed – Sun and Shade, first prepare the chosen area by loosening hard soil and removing dead grass which will help tiny seedlings to root. Apply EZ Seed so that the area is essentially covered, but the bare ground can still be seen (use half the amount of seed in thin areas). Apply only the amount recommended so seedlings will have sufficient space to access nutrients and water. An initial thorough, deep, watering is essential. Water the seeded area gently until seeds are completely saturated and can't absorb any more water (this might take a few minutes). Water the area daily to keep soil surface moist up until seedlings have reached the height of 2 inches.
The best time to apply Scotts EZ Seed – Sun and Shade is during Spring or Fall, because seeds germinate fastest when the daytime temperatures fall between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. The average days for germination are 5 to 30. Ten pounds of this product will cove 325 feet and 20 pounds covers 445 square feet.
Customers will experience more success with this product if they lightly till the dirt where the mixture will be laid down. A LOT of watering is crucial! Although recommended watering chart says once a day, watering it twice a day (unless it rains) can provide superior results. No runoff of mulch occurs so seed isn't wasted. Some customers in the lawn care industry add that soil must be properly treated, including using lime on soil to get proper pH levels, thatching the area, and following watering recommendations exactly.
THANKS FOR READING
The new reformulated Scotts EZ Seed – Sun and Shade is very popular with consumers. Fully 59% of reviewers loved this product, and had a great success rate when filling in bare patches in their lawns that were damaged by dogs, heavy foot traffic, grubs, and other insects. 20% of reviewers has mixed success with this product. Although they followed watering instructions to a tee, they only got sparse grass, or grass that was thin and below their expectations. The remaining 20% of reviewers reported either no grass growth or a few seedlings. They felt that the mixture was too expensive to give such paltry results. Fortunately Scotts does provide a No Quibble money back guarantee. A few very dissatisfied purchasers recommended to other potential buyers that they make their own mix of soil, mulch, and seed for a lot less money.