A tow behind spreader is a valuable piece of equipment to have when you must seed or fertilize large tracts of land. Spreaders provide an even distribution of materials. Without one of these tools, some areas of your land may be over-seeded or over-fertilized, while other areas can be patchy or spotty. Because their popularity has risen in recent years, the market is now saturated with many different types of tow behind spreaders. How do you choose the one that will handle your needs the best?
It begins with quality.
The Precision Products TBS6000 6-Series 130 Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader is an excellent example of what a spreader should be. This model can be used to spread seed, salt, fertilizer, and other types of granular material. Each unit is manufactured in the United States, which allows Precision Products to keep a tight grip on quality control. The TBS6000 can be used with almost any type of ATV or lawn and garden tractor to spread material where required. While not as large as other models in its class, its light weight and nimble design allows it to seed or fertilize hard to reach areas of your property.
- The widely spaced, pneumatic tires enable the spreader to be used on numerous types of terrain without fear of it tipping over.
- The spreading mechanism can be easily adjusted to a variety of distances and speeds to maximize coverage and minimize waste.
- Assembly instructions are well-written, which makes assembling it simple.
- If you plan on spreading fine grass seed, a separate agitator for the bottom of the hopper may need to be purchased.
- Because the operating lever is located directly behind the driver, it is not easy to operate while in motion.
- The Precision Products TBS6000 has a maximum load capacity of 130 pounds.
- The frame is crafted from 1.5” thick, powder coated steel to ensure its durability.
- The pneumatic tires measure 15”, and they are treaded.
- The hitch is universal, and a universal hitch pin is included.
- The metal gears are encased in a metal gear box to protect them and they are covered with a grease fitting.
- A convenient rain cover is included to protect materials from inclement weather.
Professional and consumer written reviews for the Precision Products TBS6000 6-Series 130 Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader have largely been positive. It has won much praise for its durable and rugged design.
The hopper itself is crafted from heavy duty polypropylene, which will not corrode or rust. The included rain cover serves double duty by protecting the material being spread from inclement weather and by ensuring that the material remains in the hopper while in operation. The spreader plate is made from stainless steel, and because it is adjustable, the spread pattern and flow can be adjusted 12 inches in either direction. The bottom of the hopper is outfitted with a steel mesh screen to prevent clogs from developing.
The frame and control handle of the spreader are made from powder coated, tubular steel. The durable metal gears are enclosed in their own metal gearbox, and the grease fittings are readily accessible. One of the most highly praised features of the TBS6000 is its stability. Users have unanimously praised its ability to maintain balance on the most rugged and hilly terrain. This feat is accomplished via the unit’s deeply treaded turf tires and wideset wheel base.
Although primarily designed to be used with fertilizer, this Precision Products model can be used for several functions throughout the calendar year. In the winter months, it can be used to spread salt and other ice melting agents. During the planting and growing seasons, it can be used to spread seed, fertilizer, lime, and weed killers; however, the manufacturer does recommend thoroughly cleaning the spreader each time after using chemical products.
Although this unit has a maximum capacity of 130 pounds, Precision Products recommends using it with a max load of 120 pounds, in order to reduce the amount of strain placed on the spreader. The owner’s manual is well-written and includes precise instructions on how to achieve the right application rates for different materials; however, space must be allowed for trial and error. Application rates are easily adjusted via the calibrator indicator button.
- 130-Pound capacity
- 15-Inch treaded turf tires
- 1-Inch powder coated steel tube frame
- Universal hitch with hitch pin
User reviews for the Precision Products TBS6000 6-Series 130 Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader have been solid. At the time of this writing, nearly 70% of users have given it a four or five star rating. There have been a handful of complaints regarding the location of the operating lever making it difficult to reach; however, overall, most users agree that this model is a solid investment.
THANKS FOR READING
The shortcomings of the Precision Products TBS6000 6-Series 130 Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader’s design are mostly overcome by its rugged construction and straightforward ability to get the job done. Precision Products does offer a one year limited warranty on this model, and they do have a moneyback guarantee for customers who are unsatisfied with what they have purchased. These guarantees alone make the TBS6000 a safe investment for DIY-ers who have yard work to do.