A quick Internet search will show that there are literally hundreds of different types of garden mulch on the market today. Each manufacturer claims that their product is better than their competition: it holds more moisture, has more seed, etc. Products introduced in the last five years are cultivated to conserve water, grow under any conditions, and require less maintenance. These are lofty claims, but are they accurate? Each lawn and yard has its own set of unique needs, so how do you know which product you should choose?
Pennington 1 Step Complete Sun and Shade Mulch is, hands down, one of the best combination seed and fertilizer/mulch products on the market today. It is a premium blend of perennial ryegrass and fertilizer. Of course, you don’t have to take our word for it. At the time of this writing, 67% of reviewers on Amazon have rated it four stars or higher. Given the many variations in climate and soil type across the country, achieving such a rating is an impressive feat.
Read on to find out more about what this product has to offer!
- Pennington offers a 60 day guarantee on their 1 Step Complete Sun and Shade Mulch. If you are not satisfied with the growth you see in your yard, they will refund your money – no questions asked.
- The grass seed included in this mixture is Pennington’s patented grass seed that has been treated with their exclusive Penkote technology to ensure better plant growth.
- Pennington guarantees that bare spots will be repaired in two weeks or less.
- Users have heartily disliked the fact that this mixture only contains 15% grass seed, which resulted in patchy grass growth.
Pennington 1 Step Complete Sun and Shade Mulch is designed to take the guesswork out of growing a lush green lawn. In addition to Pennington’s premium Smart Seed grass, this mixture is packed with professional grade mulch and fertilizer. Because everything is premixed, it is an ideal product for repairing or patching problem areas in your yard.
Using the Sun and Shade mulch is a simple, straightforward process. The top layer of soil on your lawn should be loosened. Dead grass or other yard debris should be removed, and the ground should be raked smooth. On the areas where grass growth is desired, the seed mix should be laid down approximately ½ an inch thick. The mulch will then need to be watered. When it is wet, it will turn a dark green in color. Reviewers have stressed the importance of ensuring that this mixture receives enough water. It will need to be kept moist. If the mulch becomes light green in color, this means that it requires more water.
Perennial ryegrass, the primary grass seed used in this mixture, has a high rate of sun and shade tolerance. It has a fine texture, and when mature, has an attractive medium to dark green hue. It can be successfully used in all climate zones. Pennington recommends planting this mulch in early fall or early spring. In most instances, users saw germination and growth begin to appear within 7 to 10 days. The grass should not be mowed until it is at least 3 inches in height.
- Combination premium Smart Seed grass seed and professional-grade fertilizer and mulch
- Formulated with grasses that thrive in sunny and moderately shady areas and grows beautiful,...
- 80% thicker with half the water than ordinary seed
- Contains Pennington's exclusive Penkote technology to ensure better plant growth and is guaranteed...
Although most users have been pleased with the results they saw from their Pennington 1 Step Complete Sun and Shade Mulch, nearly 30% of buyers have been unhappy with the final product. There has been much fuss made about the fact that only 15% of this product is grass seed. Some reviewers have felt that it was rip off in light of the fact that pure grass seed can be purchased for much less at local feed stores. Even in positive reviews, users have bemoaned the fact that so much work is required to lay down a product that is supposed to be “complete”.
THANKS FOR READING
If you do not mind doing the prep work, the Pennington 1 Step Complete Sun and Shade Mulch could be the right product for your lawn. Although users have had mixed experiences with it, there are many factors that could account for their dissatisfaction. With its affordable price point, this product makes an ideal choice to being experimenting with.