How to Install a Garden Hose Reel on Stucco
Did you know that stucco utilization dates back as far as Sumerian 4000 years BC?
It has stood the test of time and even harsh weather, all the same; you have to be extremely careful with it. It could crack or crumble when damaged. This is a guide to help you comprehend how to install a garden hose reel on stucco.
You probably do not like the idea of a garden hose lying around. Someone could trip on it. You also want your garden to look neat.
Installing a garden hose reel is not that hard. But then you have that perfect stucco finish on your house, and you cannot stand the thought of it cracking or crumbling.
How to Protect Stucco
It may be a good idea first to mount a wooden plate to the house to protect the wall.
Remember to cut the board size more significant than the reel's base. You may fit the wooden board using masonry screws, or 3 inches galvanized screws.
- Measure the hose attached to the hose reel. You want to ensure that the hose reel is installed close enough to the spigot without strain or stretching.
- Then measure the distance from the spigot to the side of the house where you want to install the hose reel. This distant should be in sync with the length measured in step 1.
- Next, hold the hose reel against the side of the house where you want to install it. Using a pencil or any other removable marker trace a line at the top and bottom of the reel. You are now marking reference points. Accuracy is paramount.
- Still holding the hose reel against the wall and using the same marker, make a dot at the center of the mounting hole. Then mark the remaining holes.
- This is the step where all the drilling happens. It is advisable to choose a drill that is of similar diameter or even smaller than the screws that you will use. You may mark the drill bit at the desired depth to have more control over it. The depth should be equal to the length of the fastener. You will watch for this marking when drilling. Now using the drill, dig through the wall to the marked depth.
- You will want to seal out moisture from the pilot hole. Stucco is easily damaged by moisture. That is why this step should always be included. Fill the pilot holes with clear silicone.
- At this step, you will now use a screwdriver. Carefully hold the hose reel against the wall. Align it with the drilled holes. Screw in the appropriate screws in to fasten the reel.