Pull & Tow Behind Spreader 2017 Buyers Guide
Pull behind spreaders are ideal for spreading grass seed, fertilizer or combinations of both on large areas of lawns, meadows or sports fields. They are designed to broadcast seed over a large area in a relatively short amount of time. Most are designed to attach to lawn garden tractors or ATV’s.
What to Look for in a Pull Behind Spreader
There are several things to look for in a pull behind spreader. One of the most important is durable construction. The frame of the cart should be sturdy and able to bear the weight of the spreader without bowing or buckling. The mechanism should work smoothly and allow seed to flow freely through the system. The hopper should be made of durable plastic or resin material that can stand up to the weight of the seed it is designed to hold.
It should hook up to a lawn and garden tractor or ATV easily and provide little resistance when being pulled across the yard. Tires should be wide enough to support the weight of the seed without leaving deep tracks in the ground or existing ground cover.
Comparison Chart By Brand & Model
Ordered by highest rated and best selling model.
Tow & Pull Behind Spreader Features
- An important feature is the hand mechanism used to release the seed through the spreader system. It should be easily within reach of the driver and comfortable to grip.
- The broadcast range of the spreader should reach anywhere from 10 to 15 feet depending on the size of the hopper and how fast you are going.
- Some tow behind spreaders come equipped with a lid that will fit loosely over the hopper. This prevents debris from falling in and obstructing the flow of seed or fertilizer during broadcasting.
- When looking for a tow behind spreader, always look closely at the broadcasting mechanism. Plastic mechanisms will not rust or bend easily and can be trusted to provide years of lasting service.
- Look for a spreader that will allow you to easy spread seed, fertilizer and salt.
Types of Pull Behind Spreaders
If you're looking at spreading seed or fertilizer over a large acreage or lawn, the chances are that a tow behind broadcast spreader would be the right choice for you. They're ideal for covering large areas since most broadcast spreaders are capable of spreading fertilizer, seeds, or other granular material somewhere between five and eight feet.
Best Sellers on Amazon
- 130 pound hopper capacity saves time refilling on larger acreage lawns"
- Durable rod linked on-off control with precise settings"
- Enclosed gear box with tapered gears for even spreading and long life"
- Large diameter tires with wide wheelbase for stability on rougher terrain"
- heavy-duty pneumatic tires
- Cover 1/4 acre
- Holds 85 pounds
- Tow broadcast spreader efficiently cultivates your lawn with wide distribution of fertilizer
- Extra-large 175 pound capacity poly hopper covers yards 1 acre or larger
- Directional Spread Pattern Control guarantees even spread patterns and the widest spread widths of...
- Fully enclosed gearbox and stainless steel hardware, shaft and agitator eliminates down time and...