Many homeowners choose to take care of lawn issues on their own instead of paying landscaping companies large sums of money. Reseeding small areas of grass that have started to thin out due to high traffic or shade or spreading seed on newly created lawn space can be easily accomplished by using a small handheld grass seed spreaders. They can be used as often as necessary and are easy to store in case there is a need for them in the future.
What to Look for When Buying a Handheld Spreader
There are several things to consider when buying a handheld spreader. The most common include ease of use and storing capability. If a handheld seeder is being considered, the one thing to remember is that it will be used sporadically. It needs to be small enough to be stored easily when it isn’t being used. Durability is also a key factor in choosing a handheld spreader that is to be used for multiple purchases. Spreaders are designed to be able to spread almost any type of substance that is granular in nature. When purchasing a new spreader, it’s always wise to look at the list of possible uses to determine how it can be used and if the added features are worth the cost.
A handheld spreader can sometimes hold up to 25 pounds of seed or other material. Due to their ability to carry so much product, most spreaders come equipped with a wide shoulder strap to help stabilize the unit while it is being used. Spreaders are designed to provide uniform coverage up to approximately 15 feet and create a feathered edge to allow the grass to grow in a naturally fashion. Handheld spreaders are often equipped with a rustproof gear system that allows for even and uniform coverage. Gears and crank systems are designed to prevent clumps and obstructions from impeding the flow of the seed during use. Whether a metal or plastic gear is used, there should be ample amounts of clearance and a clear path for the seed to follow. This allows for access in case something becomes lodged in the mechanism. Spreaders will often have a dial or lever that allows the amount of seed to be increased or decreased as needed. This will also help in reducing the risk of blockage.
Our Handheld Spreader Comparison Chart
|Solo 421S 20-Pound Capacity Portable||SOLO||Handheld||20 lbs.|
|Handheld Broadcast Spreader, 25 lb, 1 Hole||Earthway||Handheld||25 lbs.|
|Chapin 84150 Poly Hand Crank Spreader, 1.5-Liter||Chapin||Handheld||1.5 ltr.|
|Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated Bag Spreader/Seeder||Earthway||Handheld||20 lbs.|
|BND 996012 SCOTTS COMPANY (SEED) - Handygreen 2 Spreader 71133||HOME-OUTDOOR||Handheld||N/A|
|Scotts 71030 Easy Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader||Scotts||Handheld||N/A|
|Yard Tuff YTF-25SS Shoulder Spreader, 25-Pound||Yard Tuff||Handheld||25 lbs.|
|Scotts 71133 Handy Green II Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader||Scotts||Handheld||N/A|
|Precision Products HHBS-125 Handheld Broadcast Spreader||Precision Products||Handheld||6 lbs.|
|Agri-Fab 45-0282 Spreader Hand Held||Agri-Fab||Handheld||1 lb.|
Handheld spreaders can be used with almost any type of granular substance. A few of the most common are:
- Grass Seed
- Kitty Litter
- Ice Melt
- Seed and Feed Mixtures
Top Handheld Spreader Brands
Scotts Handheld Spreaders
Scotts brand offers several different handheld spreaders. Each one is lightweight and extremely durable. The smaller versions hold anywhere from 5 to 10 pounds of product and are ergonomically designed to prevent wrist pain and fatigue. Each unit is made from rustproof components. Gears and agitators are manufactured using durable plastic that helps to control the flow of product and eliminate blockages. Smaller spreaders are ideal for seeding small lawns or repairing patches of grass that have been damaged to weather or digging.
Earthway Handheld Spreaders
Earthway also offers several different models of handheld spreaders. Spreaders can be purchased that have a durable plastic hopper (ideal for larger quantities) and smaller versions that come equipped with a nylon, zippered bag and should strap for support. Each spreader is equipped with an oscillating shut off plate that helps to control the flow of material and also eliminates clumping. Seed is broadcast through the system by a high RPM gearbox that includes a spring action, rate setting control. The broadcast range is approximately 15 feet and results in a feathered, uniform edge allowing the grass to grow in a more natural pattern.
Chapin Handheld Spreaders
Chapin brand seeders come in various sizes and can hold approximately 25 pounds of seed (or other material). The average width of the broadcast is approximately 15 feet. Most Chapin handheld spreaders come with a commercial hand crank and wide shoulder strap to support its weight during use. It is also designed with easy to grip handles to prevent wrist fatigue.
- Features Scotts exclusive Edge Guard and Handy Lock Technologies
- Year-round spreader - Feed, Seed, Weed, Melt
- Holds up to 2,500 sq. ft. of Scotts lawn care products
- Battery-powered 5 ft. broadcast spreader
- Fully assembled
- Rust-proof hopper and agitator
- Great for small lawns
- Great for applying seed, ice melt, or other products for small areas
- Great for small yards
- Rustproof spreader comes fully assembled
- Great for applying seed, ice melt or other products on small areas
- Ergonomically designed, reduces wrist fatigue
- ✓ ADJUSTABLE HOLE SIZE gives you the option to calibrate output - 7 different grades. So whether...
- ✓ GRADED SIDES allow you to measure how much you're spreading in both L and KG, holding up to...
- ✓ ERGONOMIC HANDLE that accommodates for all hand sizes, providing a superior grip for any...
- ✓ EASY FILLING with the screw off lid. Allows you to effortlessly fill with fertilizer, sand,...
- EASY TO USE - Hand-operated bag seeder and spreader works for various seeding jobs.Hand-operated bag...
- EVEN DISTRIBUTION - High-RPM gearbox provides a smooth, feathered edge broadcast.
- SMOOTH OPERATION - Oscillating shut-off plate prevents clumping and aids in flow control.
- PERFECT SIZE - Zippered top for easy filling and closure while holding up to 25 pounds of seed.