For many years (dating back to the early 1900s) backpack sprayers have been used extensively by lawn care companies, golf courses, vegetation management services, and pest control operations. In the last decade, there has been a steady increase in consumer use for farms and home.
The Chapin Company has a reputation of consistently exceeding industry standards, and this sprayer is an excellent example of that. Two filters are easily removable for cleaning. An electric pump mechanism works flawlessly, the Black & Decker battery pack performs as advertised, and the spray tank curvature design is ergonomic and sits well on the back of the user.
All in all, this sprayer is considered one of the best backpack sprayers available.
- Wide mouth allows easy addition of chemicals into the tank, without any spillage into the yard
- Battery unit remains strong, so you'll never need to use the pump handle to increase tank pressure
- Can spray 50+ gallons before the battery needs a charge
- Unit is extremely quiet, and its 20-volt battery lasts a long time
- Spray wand was a little short for 6'2" user
- Threads on the mouth lid aren't precisely cut, and you need some effort to get it off and on
- 20-volt Black & Decker lithium ion battery - Provides up to 1 3/4 hours continuous spraying
- 35 feet maximum horizontal spray stream (35 to 40 psi)
- Four-gallon tank with 6" wide mouth funnel - Perfect for easy cleaning and filling
- Cushioned grip shut-off has 3 nozzles for a multitude of applications
- Special deluxe padded shoulders allow prolonged use
- Carrying handle is built conveniently right into the cap
The Chapin 63985 4-gallon wide-mouth 20V Battery Backpack Sprayer for pesticides and herbicides weighs approximately 40% less than other similar units and has a Santoprene seal inside the pump for the greatest amount of chemical resistance. This backpack sprayer has a comfortable cushioned grip shut-off and also features a serviceable, built-in filter that makes sure that no debris is able to clog up the nozzle tip. Another quality feature of this unit is deluxe padded straps that have a chest/waist strap perfect for prolonged use. This equipment is sturdy and long-lasting if you give it a regular cleaning. Additional chargers and batteries are available from Black and Decker.
This product comes well equipped with sprayers, hose, battery, shut off valve, charger, etc. It comes with 2 separate nozzles (a fan nozzle and a cone nozzle): one is a mister, and the other provides a fuller stream. Each nozzle is adjustable by turning it counter-clockwise or clockwise to give everything from a fine spray to a heavy stream. It can spray five to six minutes per gallon, or 1/6 gallon every minute (the sprayer has gallon markings on the back). This unit has a broadcast width of 3 to 5 feet and a flow of .2 to .5 ounces per minute.
The shoulder straps on this unit are adjustable, and they can be tightened or loosened with a quick, easy motion. It also features a chest strap which helps to keep straps from spreading. This product does not have a manual pump, so it can't be used without the battery. The 4-gallon sprayer will weigh approximately 42 pounds when full.
The tank should be rinsed out after each separate application (fertilizer, weed killer, etc.). Rinse the tank a minimum of 3 times, each time spraying approximately one pint of rinse liquid. On the last rinse, turn your sprayer upside-down and use a garden hose that has a trigger nozzle spray to spray water into the body of the sprayer.
- Features a Black & Decker 20-volt Lithium Ion battery for up to 1.75 hours of continuous spraying
- 35-40 psi with a 35-foot maxium horizontal spray stream
- 4-gallon tank with 6-inch wide mouth funnel for easy filling and cleaning
- Cushion grip shut-off with three nozzles for a variety of applications
This backpack spray can be used inside the house, but make sure that the insecticide you are using is safe for indoors, and be sure to adjust the spray-tip accordingly. It is advisable to use a face mask, and follow all other necessary safety procedures. It can also be used to clean your HVAC compressor coils IF the cleaning solution you are using doesn't react with its plastic components.
THANKS FOR READING
Eighty-seven percent of online reviewers were highly satisfied with this product. They felt that the sprayer works perfectly, and saves them money since they no longer have to buy pesticides that come with built-in sprayers. Four percent of users were moderately satisfied with this product. They disliked the size of the shoulder straps and did not like the accompanying instructions. Only 9% of purchasers did not like this product, and would not buy another one. They either received defective material or had issues with the quality control of this product.