An aerator is a gardening implement that is designed to punch holes in the soil where your grass is growing. It is particularly useful for lawns with compacted soil. By creating small holes in the ground, the aerator enables the soil to receive more oxygen and nutrients. It also assists in improving soil drainage. An added benefit is that regular aeration helps to control lawn thatch. While some thatch is beneficial to your lawn, too much can impede the growth of new grass.
Brinly is one of the world’s leading producers of professional grade aerators. Since its inception in 1839, Brinly has developed a reputation for creating affordable products with excellent quality. Each of their products is developed and manufactured in the United States, and one of their most popular products is the Brinly PA-48BH Tow Behind Plug Aerator.
If your lawn requires some serious aerating but is too compact for standard lightweight aerators, the Brinly PA-48BH offers an excellent alternative. With four independent, rotating sections of plug spoons, it is designed to withstanding regular, heavy duty use.
Read on to find out more about what this model has to offer!
- There are no wires or cables to contend with.
- In addition to compacted soil and thatch, this unit can be used to aerate red clay soil.
- Each plugging spoon can be replaced individually as needed, which lowers the overall cost of maintenance.
- The unit is difficult to assemble.
- Some users did not like the fact that it is an analog device.
- This model has a working width of 48 inches.
- 32 heavy duty plug spoons enable it to aerate any lawn quickly.
- It can be towed behind a tractor or ATV.
- The enclosed steel tray allows it to carry up to 200 pounds of additional weight to penetrate the soil more deeply.
Designed for use on larger lawns, the Brinly PA-48BH Tow Behind Plug Aerator will be an excellent addition to your lawn care arsenal. The heavy duty aerator can be used on red clay soil, compacted soil, or thatch. Its frame and 32 tines are crafted from heat-treated steel to ensure the model’s durability. With the appropriate amount of weight, it will extract 2 to 3-inch long “soil plugs” from your lawn, which will enable the soil to receive the water, oxygen, and nutrients it requires to thrive. Rather than collecting the soil plugs, this model is designed to leave them on the ground, which assists in replenishing your lawn with vital nutrients.
This Brinly plug aerator measures 48” in width and weighs approximately 82 pounds. It is designed for large-scale applications; although, a smaller 40” model is available. The design boasts a large steel tray that can accommodate up to 200 pounds of additional weight. The weight on the tray pushes down on the aerator and deepens the depth to which the plug spoons penetrate the soil.
What is unique about this particular model is that it features four independent, rotating sections of plug spoons, which do an excellent job of ensuring even penetration on even the most terrain. This design also prevents lawn damage when making tractor turns. Each plugging spoon on this model can be replaced independently. Because an entire spoon shaft does not have to be replaced, this lowers the overall cost of maintenance. If you need to cross a sidewalk, driveway, or another surface that you do not want to aerate, all you have to do is engage pneumatic wheels using a side lever.
For the best results, Brinly recommends using this product to aerate your lawn during the early spring and early fall before planting season.
Like most other products, the Brinly PA-48BH Tow-Behind Plug Aerator is not free from faults. A small percentage of buyers have disliked the fact that this is an analog device. Aside from the side level that engages/disengages the wheels, there are no other wires or cables to contend with. For most users, this will simply boil down to a matter of personal preference.
- Aerate and relieve compacted soil: 32 heat-treated, 16 ga. Steel plugging spoons penetrate compacted...
- Long-lasting construction: durable, all steel design with Fully-Enclosed Weight tray holds up to 200...
- Easy transport: for crossing drives, walks and rooted areas, Brinly plug Aerator includes a single...
- Works safely on turns and uneven terrain: three independently rotating, Welded Tine sections...
The prevailing complaint against this model has been the amount of effort required to assemble it. This aerator lacks an instruction manual or photos regarding how to assemble it and tighten its components, which made it difficult for some buyers to put together. However, most agreed that once assembled; it was easy to tell that the unit was made with quality materials and had solid construction.
THANKS FOR READING
When it comes to aerators, the Brinly PA-48BH Tow Behind Plug Aerator offers a solid, middle of the road option for homeowners who need a durable aerator but don’t want to spend a lot of money. Brinly offers a one year, limited warranty on each of their aerators, and with its affordable price tag, this model is an attractive buy.